Thursday, 17 October 2013

MY TARGET AUDIENCE

Due to my research and knowledge on the pop punk genre, my target audience will be older teenagers of 15-19. This is for a number of reasons:

1) The song I have chosen was released in 2001 in the UK. I was around 6 years old at the time of its biggest popularity. However, channels such as Scuzz and Kerrang still play old songs such as this. Therefore, teenagers who like the genre may have heard of it. From asking my peers, even people who don't enjoy pop punk as much as other genres know the song and many still like it. It was featured in the film Cheaper by the Dozen which was released in 2003. By this time I was around 8 years old and watched the film as it became successful. It is a classic film for my generation and boosted the popularity of the song. These things make the song known and liked by my target audience. Older teens may know the song from when it came out or from a liking of the band and younger teens may know it from 
association with the film or from music channels. I know the song to be popular and I know it well, therefore, I believe I can create a relatable, enjoyable video for it.

2) The song is also relatable for teens. The idea of being 'in too deep' allowed me to choose from a variety of narratives. However, I believe that it needs to involve young people in a setting that would be natural to them. A stereotypical teen romance seemed fitting with the lyrics. This relates to Goodwin's theory. The lyrics of the song and what an audience will see on screen will link as the male is 'in too deep' with his infatuation with the 'popular' female. It will follow the struggle of fitting in a school environment by exaggerating the ever disappearing 'cliques' that emerged in schools in the USA. This is also fitting as the song is by a Canadian band. 

3) The pop punk genre mainly focuses on teens. Most music videos that the band have originally produced feature teens in natural settings. The 'Fat Lip' video features a group of teens at a party and the 'In too deep' video features teens at a diving contest. Other artists such as Fall out Boy also feature teens in their videos. 'Dance dance' is set at a high school dance for example. The image of teens in their usual surroundings has proved successful for the artist I have chosen and other artists within the pop punk genre. 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment